Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Talk About Suffering

So when hit with rule number 9 (thou shalt have it read aloud by another), I did feel like I had been run-through. I was reminded of my last creative writing class with Professor Pritchett. We had to put our work on blackboard for others to read and come to class to workshop. On several occasions stories were not posted in time and had to be read aloud in turns. One of these times it was my work. I sat, cringing, as my fellow students and my professor read my eighteen-page work of fiction. It was absolutely horrible, especially as I was not permitted to speak in my defense when problems were found. But, unsurprisingly, I did learn something about my dialogue (and that people today are perplexed by commas and semi-colons). I had to learn to not only write but speak more plainly. Now, I am certainly not going to say that I have learned my lesson; I think one can see why. But I am aware of my tendency toward formality of speech, and I am trying, in baby steps, to correct it.

No comments:

Post a Comment